Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Staring Down Depression

I've posted before about how I finally admitted that I needed to talk to someone about my depression. It has been three months since that post and I figured I'd update you guys on what's going on.

I am currently taking 50MG of Zoloft at night. It helps me sleep and I've found I'm not as tired during the day if I do that. I don't feel as weepy or moppy and I find that I'm not as angry as I was. I don't snap like I did, I don't go off like I did. I feel somewhat normal. My thyroid meds got upped as well, because my thyroid wasn't improving. Hopefully, within a few month, I'll be 100% again. 

I miss that feeling.

In addition to my own depression, I'm also dealing with Boy Child being depressed, as a result of his being horribly bullied at school. I didn't post about it because it wasn't something I wanted to share with the world. But he was being picked on by a little boy at school who was going around saying he tried to kiss him and calling his a derogatory name for homosexual men. This caused Boy Child to become very depressed, withdrawn, and anxious. 

We met with his teachers and the principal to get the problem taken care of. They referred us to a program at the school that has a counselor come and talk to him once a week. In addition to that, he will also be staying after school and will attend some activities during the summer. We are hoping that this, paired with him playing soccer, will keep him from having to take medication. 

I didn't realize that children as young as 9 (and some even younger) could become depressed. What a scary thought. I'm happy that we noticed the signs pretty quickly and that we let him know that he has a support team there for him. 

Depression is no laughing matter. I'm happy that my son knows that he's not going through this alone, that he has me with him in this hazy cloud of sadness. He and I will stare depression down together, of this I am sure.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you continue down the path to health. And I'm so sad about your son's situation. Although you talk about what's being done to assist the victim, I certainly hope there are also consequences for the bully.

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Hate it? Tell me here! But know that comments ARE moderated and posted at my discretion.